I could use a date type that is never due, but that could show up in calendars and in “days from” calculations.
The thing is that I do use the dates for planning but the objective is not really to check those things off, rather things in a plan that they better stay with the plan rather than being kept in the calendar as they tend to be flexible in early stages of planning (eg. imagine the initial planning of a holiday trip).
The way it is setup right now I end up with a lot of overdue items, as the plan unfolds, but which I really don’t intend to mark off as done as I am also keeping a log of when something has happened. I could live easily with only one type of date per element (either due date or just non-due date) which could make it easier to implement. For search it could also just reuse the ‘due:’ syntax.
Anyway hope this is useful enough to others and that it will get implemented
Yes in a pinch all I need is dates that don’t trigger an alert of overdue (formatting or piling up in the due dates page), I mean it would still be nice to be able to tell visually if a date is past or not. I still want the due-date functionality to work as it does today.
Even if semantically incorrect, maybe future never-due dates could appear in the Due page, but past never-due dates should not appear in the due date view.
We introduce a configurable option, “overdue threshold”, for instance, 2 weeks.
If an overdue due date is older than this threshold (now - 2 weeks), it is considered “Past due”, is not rendered as overdue, and is placed into a separate “Past due” section on the Due page. It is excluded from the due date notification e-mail, too.
If the overdue due date is within this threashold, it works as now.
We may also add due: past filter for the past due dates.
The threshold can be changed any time, and affects the presentation only.
Would it work?
Edit:
An alternative approach is to have a per-list option which makes all due date information ones. Something like “Dates are informational (never overdue)”
Both way work, but I prefer the threshold one as you don’t have to give up due dates (some questions remain as to what searches like due: overdue / due: any would return - I guess all items with recognized ‘^’ dates).
I’ve taken it for a quick spin and so far so good. I’ll let you know later in the week if it makes my life a lot easier - so far there are a lot less red overdue markers all around that makes it easier to look at the tree.