Try (Beta) Slack to Checkvist Integration

Hi!

Sasha here with a small announcement and an invitation to try a new feature :wink:

My day job involves a lot of Slack messaging - watching channels, sending, and receiving tasks. Slack is a focus killer, so if I want to accomplish anything, I need to ‘Save for Later’ quite a lot, every day. After my ‘Saved’ list exceeded 100 items, I asked Kir to write a simple Slack to Checkvist integration, so I could better organize and prioritize what I’m saving.

I knew it was a bit out of scope, but I was drowning.

Now, it’s ready—well, it’s officially in beta—and you’re invited to try it out:

• On the Tools page in your profile, press the ‘Add to Slack’ button.
• Confirm Slack integration (or ask your admin to allow the Checkvist app to run).
• After that, every time you press ‘Save for Later’ in Slack, that message will appear in your “Slack Inbox” list in Checkvist.
• All Slack links and texts are preserved.
• Organize the saved items, add due dates, add sub-tasks or notes, and never lose anything important again :slight_smile:

We want to polish this feature before releasing it officially, so any feedback, bugs, or usability requests are most welcome.

The Slack integration will become a part of the PRO plan later, but while in Beta, it’s free to use.

2 Likes

@sashka THIS IS AWESOME and something I have long-desired. Stuff just gets buried in Slack and I am regularly wanting a quick way to send something from Slack to my todo list for handling later. Thank you for building it.

I just have one suggestion which I think would make this infinitely better. I really need to be able to specify the Checkvist list that the messages flow to. “Slack Inbox” is cool but for me things will just get lost there, like they already do in Slack. Is there any way for me to change the target location or to somehow have items automatically copy to my primary task list? :crossed_fingers:

Thanks again and great work!

1 Like

Hello Ben,

Thanks for the encouraging feedback! Sure, we had an idea that it would be nice to specify a target list for Slack messages, but we wanted to release a prototype earlier :slightly_smiling_face:

What do you think, if the selector of the list on the profile page would be the proper place for it?

Kind regards,
KIR

1 Like

@maxkir I think that would be perfect. I think most people would want to target 1 specific list.

Hello again,

Now you can choose the target list at the same place where you add the integration: Enter and master your projects

Hope it will work fine for you :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
KIR

2 Likes

@maxkir @sashka it works beautifully. this is a game changer. thank you!!

1 Like

@maxkir @sashka I wonder how you feel now after some time using this feature. Personally, I love the functionality of it. But, I wish that the slack message itself was not the top-level item, but instead inside the nested “text bubble”. Also, I would rather the link to the slack thread be part of the top-level list item.

The main reason for this is that some of the slack messages I am ‘saving for later’ are very long, so they really expand the list size when saved. Ideally the smaller bit (the link itself), which can be renamed or given a title, would be the list item and the actual slack message/conversation would be hidden initially. I think this makes more logical sense as well since there is even a “text bubble” icon which indicates a conversation or more lengthy content. :grinning:

1 Like

Hello @lifeboy ,

Thank you for the feedback. We’re going to include the link to the Slack item into the top item, as well as mention who was the author of the message. Not sure about shortening the original message, though, as we cannot reliably cut it without breaking a link there, for instance. Will try moving with smaller steps :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
KIR

Folks, please check how it works now. We’ve added the link and the author of the Slack message to the first line. And gg should now work to navigate to the Slack message.

Take a look:

1 Like