Streamlining the behaviour of "Zooming of list items" across different views and short-cuts

Hi,

The “gg” shortcut in the “Due” page opens the node in a new tab.
Perfect.
But why don’t we extend this functionality to “normal” pages as well?

i.e. gg should open the current node in a new tab, irrespective of the type of page one is on (and not just Due page)

I have a use-case where I don’t use “Due” page to list my tasks but instead use a specific filter and would like to launch tasks from there in a new tab using the gg shortcut.
The way I have to do now is to do a “lc” (link copy) + Ctrl-T to open a new tab + Ctrl-V to paste the url + Enter
Too tedious

Why not use Shift gg?

1 Like

Let me clarify -

( A ) Views

• We have the following views
    (1) “List” view
    (2) “Due” view

( B ) Use-Cases

• There are 2 use-cases regarding zooming into a specific list item -
    (1) Zooming into a specific list item while staying on the same page
    (2) Zooming into a specific list item while opening the zoomed item onto a new tab

( C ) Key Modifiers

• The above views have the above use-cases implemented through the following key modifiers
    (1) “Shift + ->”
    (2) “gg”

The current situation has the following implemented -

• A1 + B1 + C1
  • A2 + B1 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is un-checked)
  • A2 + B2 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is checked)

IMHO, The above needs to be streamlined through the following implementation -

• The “Shift + ->” and “gg” modifiers should always mean the same irrespective of whether it is a “List” view or a “Due” view. They should always Zoom into the specific list item.
  • Only difference is that -
    Shift + ->” zooms in while staying on the same page
    gg” zooms in while opening the zoomed item onto a new tab. For legacy reasons and to avoid confusing people too much, the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” can be retained and the behaviour of “gg” could be modified whether it should open in new page or remain on the same page (meaning it is a duplicate behaviour of the “Shift + ->” modifier under those setting.

With the above streamlined paradigm to Zoom list items, we would have the following behaviours -

• A1 + B1 + C1
  • A1 + B1 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is un-checked)
  • A1 + B2 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is checked)
  • A2 + B1 + C1
  • A2 + B1 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is un-checked)
  • A2 + B2 + C2 (If the setting “Open links to list items in a new tab” is checked)

Have now updated the title of the topic to better suit the intention.

Hello @saurabhg9,

First, Happy New Year :slight_smile:

As for gg/Shift+Right - I’m afraid you’re mixing different concepts here.

Shift+Right - focus this list item. It does not work on the Due page, though it could, but this not implemented yet.

gg has the semantics “go to this link”. If you use this shortcut on an item with a link inside - this link is opened. If this link is local, it is opened in the same tab. If this link is external - it is opened in the new tab.

If the current selection is on the Due page - there is a link on the right part of this page with title “Go to the list context” - and this is basically it, you can navigate to the list item in the list context, and if this list item has sub-items, Checkvist also activates focus on the list item. By default, the navigation is done without opening a new tab (because the link is local, i.e. does not lead to the external site), but you can change the behaviour if you press “Shift” before pressing gg. The link will also be opened in the new tab if you enable option Open links to list items in a new tab in oo popup.

In short, gg is about clicking links from keyboard, not about focusing nodes. You can always open link in new tab keeping “Shift” key pressed, otherwise, the behavour is defined depending if the link is internal or external. I’m afraid we are not going to change this semantics in the future.

All the best,
KIR

Hi Kir,

Happy new year to you too! :slight_smile:
Checkvist is soo enjoyable, I really cannot manage my life without it :slight_smile:

At the moment gg has an overloaded semantic. It is used to

1. Open “links” on the List page
    and
  2. Open “list nodes” on the Due page.

The ability to open local nodes in a new tab is currently only available in the “Due” page (through the gg command with the configuration setting Open links to list items in a new tab).

I am really missing this functionality on the List page as well. Currently it is only possible to do a Shift + -> which opens the node (zooms in) on the same page.

Can we have the above functionality from the Due page also on the List page?

Thanks,
Saurabh

Hello @saurabhg9,

As I understand, the main need is to be able to quickly focus list items in the new tab.
Please file it on the uservoice, we’ll see if there is support for it from other customers. So far I don’t like the solution of mirroring ‘gg’ with Shift+Right.

Thanks,