Shortcut for moving a task to a parent's sibling

Hi,

I really appreciate the keyboard-centric approach of Checkvist! And I have a suggestion how moving tasks could be improved even further.

I often have to move a task out of its parent into one of the parent’s siblings. Of course I can do this by using the ctrl-up/ctrl-down shortcuts. But if the parent contains lots of tasks and the task to move is not at the top or bottom of these tasks, I have to press ctrl-up/ctrl-down very often. It would be very convenient if there was an additional pair of shortcuts that would allow jump-moving a task (including its sub-tasks) directly to the top of the tasks of the parent’s previous/next sibling. I suggest ctrl-left/ctrl-right for such shortcut (ctrl-pageUp/ctrl-pageDown, which might seem a more natural choice, is apparently already used for switching tabs in most browsers).

Hopefully such additional feature would not be too difficult to implement.

What do you think?

Best regards
soremo

1 Like

Hi,

Just in case, to move a task you can also use Ctrl+X/Ctrl+V and ‘mm’ keyboard shortcuts.

Would it possibly help?

Regards,

Hi,

thanks for you answer.

Of course the suggested copy/navigate/paste is a possible alternative for moving a task to the desired position, and could require less keystrokes than repeatedly pressing ctrl-up/ctrl-down (depending on the circumstances). However, moving within the same list with ‘mm’ only by keyboard requires quite a lot of keystrokes. And the number of keystrokes is not deterministic, since the order of items in the ‘mm’ popup list changes.

In my view keyboard shortcuts serve to do a certain well-defined action very quickly without requiring me to think much or even look at the display. Therefore, it would be great if there was a fixed sequence of keystrokes to be executed so as to move a task up/down to the previous/next sibling of the current parent. Ideally, this sequence would be rather short: a single shortcut :wink:

Do you understand what I mean? I hope I could make myself clear.

Best
soremo

1 Like

Hi there!

This is an action I do very very frequently so I support soremo’s proposal.

Thanks a lot.

Hmm. There is a shortcut Alt+PgUp/Alt+PgDown to move the item to the first/last position under the current parent.

So probably you could use Alt+PgUp and Ctrl+Up combination to move the task to the top parent’s sibling.

There was a blog post which illustrates different types of task reordering, please take a look, there is a demo, too.

Hope this would solve the issue. We have lots of shortcuts for reordering, already :slight_smile:

Best,

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware of Alt+PgUp/Alt+PgDown. Starting using it. :slight_smile:

1 Like