My thoughts after over a year on Checkvist

Hey all, I’ve been using Checkvist for over a year now and thought I’d share my feedback. As this post is mostly going to be focused on negatives - I’ll preface it by saying I love checkvist and couldn’t organise my head without it. I have pretty severe ADHD with a touch of OCD so making lists is a good way to channel my disorders into productivity.

• The ability to share a pinned portion of a list would be nice. I keep all my notes on a ‘master list’, but I often need to copy large chunks out to make public for other people. If I could link to a pinned section this would cut down a lot of superflous list making
  • If you’re pasting code into the cell. It shouldn’t prompt you to ask if you want to make it multi-lined.
  • The ability to use tab for 4 spaces would be appreciated. I normally end up having to copy 4 spaces and use them throughout when pasting code
  • Searching is a bit clunky. I’ve realised I need to pin the result I’m after and then use the breadcrumbs to get to the heirarchy I need. But this took me a while to figure out.
  • Self-hosted! I realise you guys need to make money. But I’d rather pay a one-off payment which let me self-host my checkvist and do regular commits to prevent me overwriting stuff.
    My current implementation;

Hi,

I read your thoughts with interest, thanks for taking the time.

You can disable the Offer multi-line paste option on your settings page.

I don’t think I can comment on the rest.

Very best regards,

Jim

1 Like

Hello,

First of all, thanks for sharing your feedback! I’ll try to answer your points, below :slight_smile:

Do I understand correctly that you want to share a branch of the list but make sure that the other parts of the list won’t be available to the recipient? This is a bit tough. It is easier to implement in read-only mode, but still not easy. Please vote for this issue in uservoice, unless you did not yet.

Do I understand correctly that you are pasting a code fragment, and then you want to make sure it is rendered as code in Checkvist? To render code as code you need to wrap code fragment with “```”, then you don’t need 4 spaces.

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand you here. What is the scenario, why clunky?

Self-hosted version would cost thousands. We were seriously considering implementing such a version at some point, but being a small shop, we probably cannot afford supporting a non-SaaS version (including upgrades etc.).

Thanks a lot for your feedback,
KIR

Do I understand correctly that you are pasting a code fragment, and then you want to make sure it is rendered as code in Checkvist? To render code as code you need to wrap code fragment with “```”, then you don’t need 4 spaces.

I’m using the backquotes, I mean that when you’re entering a code fragment Checkvist should never ask you if you want it multi-line, as using the code snippet indicates you’d never want multi-line. Also the 4-spaces was reference to when you’re in fixing the code fragment. Tab doesn’t work then when trying to sort the spacing.

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand you here. What is the scenario, why clunky?

On complex lists it jumps to the found position and puts you in a restrictive navigation view. I’ve solved the issue by using the hoist feature at this point but I imagine new users will similarly be confused by this aspect.

Self-hosted version would cost thousands. We were seriously considering implementing such a version at some point, but being a small shop, we probably cannot afford supporting a non-SaaS version (including upgrades etc.).

Thousands? Why? There’s a clone here which I’ll probably pick up and start using once I have some free time to code again

https://reidgould.github.io/tiddlywiki-nn-plugin/

Additionally, how can I turn off the autotag thing? I’m having to delete them manually because after your last update trying to use the arrow keys is a nightmare with them constantly popping up and auto-filling

Also, is there anyway to ‘merge’ rows? I’ve attached a before/after to clarify

You’re right, we should not ask for it in such situations. Could you please check how it works on https://beta.checkvist.com - I hope I’ve fixed it.

This is how filtering works - it keeps only items which are relevant and chooses the first match. How would it work better, on your opinion?

This is how we measure efforts for providing such a version. I would not go into the details, but providing full Checkvist functionality on-premises is harder than it seems.

We have a separate feature request for that. As a workaround, you can select multiple items, export them into Markdown format, and add the exported text as a single item. Hope this would work for you.

Thanks for the feedback!