Is there a way to view due dates by days/weeks remaining?

Personally I find it helpful to see due dates by time remaining, for example…

• 3wk,4d instead of March 3rd.

Is it possible to do this in Checkvist? Would it be an easy feature to implement?
I tried to google this, but came up with nothing.

I can’t be alone in finding this format of viewing deadlines useful.
To me at least, “March 3rd” feels intangible. By contrast “-3wks” tells me I have enough time.

In my specific case, I’m a professor teaching multiple courses and trying to plan classes in the weeks ahead. Some lessons I’ve taught before, others introduce new material. Quickly seeing how much time I have for the hard-to-prepare lessons vs. the easier ones would be helpful. I’m sure there are many other applications to use this feature.

1 Like

+1. I had long thought of this addition. To me having a sort of negative sense of “days left” than “due in” is a far more motivating factor than the other way around.

I would use this as well. One tool that has a lot of good features is Tick Tick. It does allow toggling a countdown rather than specific dates. I absolutely love Checkvist because of the keyboard centric features.

I would like that, along with a shortcut to flip between days/weeks left and actual date

Hello friends,

Thanks for the suggestion.

We definitely can add a view option for the due dates.

Probably, overdue dates should have “-” before them and due dates in the future should not. Like, “-1d” is due yesterday, “1d” is due tomorrow. How does it sound? Or do you prefer vice versa?

For today, we’ll probably always show “today” as there is not much sense to do otherwise.

We think about using df shortcut to toggle due view, from “due format”.

Another question is whether to calculate weeks, months, and years or use plain day count.

Opinions?

Thanks,
KIR

1 Like

Sounds natural / intuitive for me.

An user’s preference (toggle at settings page)?

2 Likes

OP here replying a bit late… (somehow missed notifications on this thread)

What about a mix of these? Depending on how far out?
i.e.,
-4d +4d
-1w2d +1w2d
-2m3w4d +2m3w4d

That last one is a bit clunky maybe alternate format of
2m,3w4d
or alternately
2m/3w/4d

I realize months don’t perfectly fit with weeks. Still, I personally find 2m3wk more useful than 11wk. At least to get a rough idea on how far out due tasks are.

I’m not a software designer, so perhaps you’d have a better idea

hope this helps.

Hello folks,

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve put the first preliminary version of the feature to the beta.checkvist.com. Relative due dates can be enabled in the settings as a separate option in “Due dates” section of the settings.

The current implementation is a bit more verbose than it was suggested, but not final. Please check and tell what do you think.

Best regards,
KIR

Since this is something intended to be used quite often, the short format, of which @reason808 gave a few examples, is the one that makes the most sense to me.

I am not sure where this syntax originated, but I’ve first seen it used in OmniFocus, maybe even in the first version. Here is the description of the syntax supported in OmniFocus 2, which also supports longer format (TIL!).

Thanks for the feedback! We’ve rolled out the updated version of the relative dues on beta, with +3w2d syntax. We would like to send it to production in the beginning of the next week.

BTW, we’ve also added df keyboard shortcut to switch the due date format.

Your comments are welcome.
Best,

1 Like

Beautiful! Would supporting the same syntax when editing an item after the ^ be possible/desirable? This would allow a user to directly enter something like “Check on… ^1w”, without having to first create a “Check on…”, then type dd, then type “1w”.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. But I’m afraid this does not fit into “quick fix” category, and we’d like to focus on other changes at the moment. Maybe we’ll come back to this later.

Hope you understand :slight_smile:
KIR

P.S. Always feel uncomfortable when saying no.
P.P.S. The relative due is on production already.

1 Like

Not only have you created the BEST Checklist and organization software, but you listen to your users and make it even better!

I have tried other tools just to see what is out there, but there is never a need. Checkvist has more power and functionality than any other commercially available software!

2 Likes

Thank you very much, @Kevin_Dillman, it is a bit embarrassing :slight_smile:

I somehow completely missed how my feature request has been implemented!
Just tried it out and its wonderful!

First time this has very happened, and such a great feeling. Thanks so much maxkir!

I’m a bit embarrassed to miss out on it for so long, but I’m on summer break, so my deadlines pressure was pretty mellow. As was the need for tools to handle them.

1 Like

Hi,

It is true as you said!

As I see it, there are many who have worked for years with the Omnifocus just like me. That’s how we know the disadvantages of Omnifocus.

In contrast, there is a small company that has developed a perfect work tool.

Keyboard shortcuts = professional work.

I haven’t seen industrial software in a long time. Maybe I haven’t seen professional software since OS9. Among online software, I haven’t come across any professional software at all.

I think there are many people here who have worked with Jira, monday.com, or ClickUp just like me. We know the advantages of each. But also, what it lacks. We know, because we have seen, that despite the many features, if those features do not work, they are useless.

In contrast, an unknown company comes along, fulfilling the dreams of many executives. Moreover, this small company has not only fulfilled the dreams of companies with its perfect software.

For me, it was love at first sight with Checkvist. The software worked immediately. Just the way it was needed. Everything was clear and everything was simple. But the best part about this software:

CSS + keyboard shortcuts.

This is where a professional software for work begins. Checkvist does exactly that. This software is robust, simple, and works on mobile phones as well. Additionally, the Checkvist subscription fee is very good.

Dear creators!

You have done a perfect job! For me, Checkvist is the most important software, as I don’t take a single step without a plan. I thank the creators for their work, thank the people on the forum for their ideas, and thank them for implementing those ideas.

3 Likes